Senior staff writer
Voted by our readers, our No. 1 story of 2017 was the shooting death of Southport Police Lt. Aaron Allan.
Southsiders sadly but proudly showed their respects in so many heartfelt ways. Hundreds of police officers – local and from across the country – honored Allan with an unforgettable funeral procession. He will always be remembered for his love of family, acts of kindness and devotion to duty.
Our other top stories:
2) Mass of Christian burial held for sisters and Roncalli alumnae Mallory and Meredith Opel, who were killed in a double murder.
3) Greenwood officials, Indy Fuel owners and Gresham Properties announced the SportsPlex and Greenwood Town Center development at I-65 and County Line Road.
4) Refined plans for I-69 interchanges will affect businesses at Southport Road and Thompson Road on south side of I-465.
5) Demolition of two St. Francis Hospitals in Beech Grove continue ahead of schedule.
6) Barber Tom Bryant donates $100,000 to the University of Indianapolis.
7) Greenwood City Council OKs $4 million bond to improve police headquarters, probation and clerk’s offices at Surina Way with temporary move to former middle school.
8) Ground broken for new Southport building for Police Department and city offices with existing municipal building to become home of Perry Senior Citizens.
9) City of Greenwood buys former Greenwood Middle School building and land to spur multipurpose development.
10) Southside Harley-Davidson honored with 70-year display at Indiana History Center.