Senior staff writer
The footprint of I-69 that uses the State Road 37 corridor through Johnson County and Perry Township is finalized in the Tier 2 Final Environmental Statement issued by the Indiana Department of Transportation.
Interchanges are to be constructed at Indiana 144 just south of Johnson County, Smith Valley Road, County Line Road, Epler Avenue and I-465 with a new I-69/I-465 interchange just east of White River.
Section 6 includes 26 miles of new interstate and 18 miles of new service roads.
I-69 is trimmed from proposed six lanes to four lanes north of Ind. 144 to County Line Road.
There is no timetable for design, real estate or construction north of Martinsville.
“Even though construction won’t begin for some time, survey crews will continue to work collecting information required for final design and construction,” INDOT spokesman Andy Dietrick said.
The 1,700-page FEIS is available online at http://ww.I69indyevn.org. Printed copies are available at Southport Library, 2630 E. Stop 11 Road, and Johnson County Library, State Road 135 and Smith Valley Road.
Summary of roads/interchanges:
• Stones Crossing Road – Closed at I-69 … west side, extend old Ind. 37 and Travis Road north to new service road (NLSR) to link south of Olive Branch Road … east side, NLSR from CR 144.
• Olive Branch – Closed at I-69 … west side, T-intersection with NLSR to old Ind. 37.
• Bluff Acres Drive – Closed at I-69 …east side, T-intersection with NLSR from Olive Branch to Smith Valley … Greenwood Mobile Home Park remains.
• Smith Valley – Diamond interchange with roundabouts … I-69 underpass … west side, NLSR north to County Line Road … east side, roundabout at Mullinix Road … relocation of White River Township Fire Station … no impact on subdivision along Wakefield Road … retains Center Grove Little League.
• Bluffdale Road – Closed at I-69 … east side, T-intersection with NLSR from Smith Valley to County Line.
• Fairview Road – Closed at I-69 … east side, T-intersection with NLSR from Smith Valley to County Line.
• County Line Road – I-69 overpass … partial folded diamond interchange with roundabouts … west side, roundabout links with NLSR to Smith Valley and north to Wicker Road.
• Glenns Valley Road – Closed at I-69 … west side, linked with private drive.
• Wicker Road – Grade separation due to I-69 overpass.
• Belmont Avenue – Closed at I-69 … west side, Belmont Avenue on NLSR to intersect with Southport Road.
• Southport Road – Diamond interchange … I-69 underpass … west side, reconstruct Southport past Governors Point Drive; NLSR north to link with Belmont Avenue; Southport Landing Shopping Center to be acquired … new intersection with Perry Commons Boulevard and Aspen Lakes Apartments access drive … 19 businesses, 24 apartment units and three residences to be relocated.
• Banta Road – Grade separation due to I-69 overpass.
• Edgewood Avenue – Grade separation due to I-69 overpass … west, link south to Belmont Avenue … from Banta Road to I-465, nearly 300 combined business, apartment units and homes to be relocated.
• Epler Avenue – Major interchange … I-69 overpass with ramp connections to and from I-69 to the south.
• Thompson Road – Access closed.
• I-465/I-69 – New directional interchange west of existing I-465/Harding Street interchange.
• I-465/Harding Street – Access provided by Epler Avenue connections … 16 homes in Sunshine Gardens affected … I-465 to be widened to six lanes from U.S. 31 to Mann Road.