On April 28 the Perry Township community gathered to see the unveiling of a memorial for Edgewood Grade School. Crowds gathered behind James Whitcomb Riley School on Shelby Street, just north of Epler Avenue, to honor Edgewood School, which opened in 1914. Though it was demolished in 1980, it is still fondly remembered in our community.
The idea for the memorial was first presented to the Perry Township Board of Education in the spring of 2017 by Ted Lobdell and Barry Hix, alumni of the school. With great emotion they spoke of the impact that the school and its educators, including Catherine Sanders and Paul L. Bailey, had on them and the community.
The board agreed that the memorial is an important part of honoring Edgewood’s history. Our district worked with Trophy House owner and Southport High School alumnus Chuck Sampson to select an appropriate plaque. Edgewood Landscape Supply donated the landscape materials. Duane Lytle, an Edgewood alumnus, donated his labor and built the landscape area. The Perry Township Schools grounds crew installed the post for the plaque and installed the plaque.
We are thankful for Edgewood School for paving the way for quality education in Perry Township. We appreciate the privilege of looking at the past while planning for our futures.