First appearing in 1964, the Excalibur was styled after the 1928 Mercedes-Benz SSK.
Production continued into 1990 with only 3,500 being hand-built – one at a time – in Milwaukee. The cars were painted with Ford factory choices and contained General Motors suspensions and engines. The Phaeton was the four-seater, while the SS models were the sportier two-seater ones.
The pictured car was originally purchased by a Kentucky coal miner at a dealership in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in 1980, during which time only 93 were manufactured. The Excalibur appraises for more than $40,000, and this one eventually found its way to Indiana. David Weber of Edinburgh bought the car at auction in Shelbyville in 2009.
The car had only 8,000 miles on it, but it required extensive upgrading and refurbishing to make it road worthy after sitting idle for so many years.
All rubber components had dry-rotted. The hoses, belts, water pump, gaskets and seals needed to be replaced. The tires actually shredded away as he drove the car home on the interstate, and the brakes were beginning to fail. Many replacement parts came from various car manufacturers to complete the renovation. The exterior is made of Fiberglas and stainless steel.
After a year of upgrading the transmission and all of the other main mechanical parts, this 5.0-liter, 305-cubic inch turbocharged automatic engine was ready to roar the 5,400-pound Excalibur back to life.
David and his classic ride can be seen during the summer at local car shows and cruise-ins.
Until next time, happy cruising!