Southsider Voice correspondent
Five individual champions and three relay teams earned sectional track championships May 22, including double winners Clayton Bowie of Southport and Justin Veteto of Center Grove.
Bowie, returning to his late-season form of last year, dominated the 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs on his home track. He won the 1,600 with a time of 4 minutes, 14.23 seconds and was 5.26 seconds ahead of Perry Meridian’s Isaiah White. Bowie also edged out White in the 3,200 with a time of 9:24.44.
Veteto bettered the state qualifying standard in 110- and 300-meter hurdles at the Columbus North Sectional. He won the 110 in 14.06 and the 300 in 37.81.
Franklin Central’s Andrew Schmalfeldt missed breaking a 20-year-old Warren Central Sectional record in the 800-meter race by only sixty-two hundreths of a second. His winning time was 1:55.85.
Center Grove’s Grant Stapleton won the 800 in 1:56.46, finishing 2.15 seconds ahead of Jacob Hampton of Columbus East.
Greenwood’s David Dalton ran a 4:16.15 in the 1,600 to edge Kaden Eaton of Columbus North by three-quarters of a second in the 1,600.
Members of Center Grove’s winning 400 relay were Jackson Hohlt, Cavin Daggett, Lee Clinker and Conner Steeb. They covered the distance in 43.31 seconds, edging Whiteland by six-hundreths of a second. The victorious 1,600 relay team of Hohlt, Zach Hart, Trevor Hohlt and Luke Mroz posted a time of 3:25.81.
Franklin Central’s 4-by-800 relay squad of Schmalfeldt, Eddie Hardimon, Evan Shuck and Robbie Talhelm won in 8:04.31 and edged Shelbyville by less than one-third of a second. The Flashes just missed breaking the 2013 sectional record.
Overall, 64 athletes representing seven Southside high schools qualified for regionals. Southport and Perry Meridian will compete in the North Central Regional, and Center Grove, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Franklin Central and Roncalli are in the Connersville Regional; each meet starts at 6 p.m. Thursday.
The top three finishers advance to the state finals at Indiana University Bloomington on June 7.
The following schools and athletes will be represented in regional actions:
• Beech Grove – Jason Smith, 1,600, fourth 4:31.49.
• Center Grove – J. Hohlt, 200, second, 23.06; Daggett, 200, third, 23.23; Zak Smith, 400, third, 51.26; Griffin Miller, 3,200, fourth, 9:58.22; Evan Tandy, 110 hurdles, third, 15.02; 4-by-800, Nathan Fill, Bradley Bennett, Reed Sauter, Grant Stapleton, 8:18.67; Cameron Tidd, discus, third, 150-7.
• Franklin Central – Marcel Price, 100, second, 11.18; Robert Ritter, 200, fourth, 22.88; Evan Shuck, 800, fourth, 1:59.64; Kyle O’Malley, 1,600, second, 4:27.29; Blake Settles, high jump, second (tie), 6-0; Brayton Reynolds, high jump, second (tie), 6-0; Tony Milata, shot put, fourth, 47-9 1/2; Austin Carroll, pole vault, third, 12-0; 4-by-100, Aaron Austin, Price, Ritter, Rivers, Isaiah Thomas, second, 42.48; 4-by-400, Austin, Desten Howard, Carter Kellum, Robbie Talhelm, third, 3:30.15.
• Greenwood – Dalton, 3,200, second, 9:29.99.
• Perry Meridian – Stathis Krauth, 400, second, 50.389; White, 1,600, second, 4:19.49; 3,200, second, 9:30.40; John Tansy, 1,600, fourth, 4:36.07; Christian Buchanan, 110 hurdles, fourth, 15.70; Justin Dostal, high jump, fourth, 6-0; Justin Cheek, pole vault, third (tie), 11-0; Charles Bowman, discus, fourth, 132-7 1/2; 4-by-100 relay, Jaquan Keys, Glenn Baker, Dostal, Daymeon Hamilton, second, 43.55.
Roncalli – Conner James, discus, second, 147-2; 4-by-100, Matt Brown, Bryan Doerr, Andy Mappes, Eric Townsend, third, 44.46; 4-by-800, Andy Bauer, Michael Schiefelbein, Nathan Schoettle, Nolan Shanahan, 8:29.50.
- Southport – Sanchez Miller, 100, third, 11.13; 200, second, 22.65; Cooper Davis, 110 hurdles, third, 15.16; 300 hurdles, fourth, 42.71; Charlie Stroub, 300 hurdles, third, 41.94; Kevin Wagner, pole vault, third (tie), 11-0; 4-by-100 relay, Klayton Byrd, Aaron Ferguson, Stephon Johnson, Cardell Tucker, fourth, 44.38; 4-by-400 relay, Miller, Amone Miller, Stroub, Devin Walker, third, 3:29.55.