Perry Township Schools
The first day of school is always filled with anticipation and a desire to be back in school among friends.
Last week was extremely rewarding as our children and staff returned to our schools. We experienced a smooth transition from summer break to the classroom setting.
The start of school was so successful due to a team effort by parents and staff. Parents made sure their children had the required immunizations and school supplies, and the district was ready with Skyward log-ins for families to pay lunch and book rental fees. There were also teacher assistants who helped with bus, lunch and recess duty.
I extend my appreciation to everyone for their patience and flexibility during the readjustment to the rigors of the school day.
Our staff members spent days, evenings and weekends over the summer doing the following:
• Enriching classrooms with display boards and organizing class libraries and learning resources.
• Planning and organizing lesson plans.
• Preparing menus and ordering food service products and supplies.
• Answering countless phone calls and registering students.
• Setting up student/family computer log-ins.
• Mowing grass, landscaping, sealing parking lots and painting parking lot lines.
• Cleaning carpet and desks and moving and relocating office/classroom equipment.
• Updating emergency plans and supplies.
• Interviewing, hiring and training new staff members.
• Training bus drivers while practicing and optimizing routes.
Attendance was extremely high for the back-to-school programs, which helped students familiarize themselves with expectations, schedules and new staff members before the academic year started.
As you probably know, the first couple of days of the school year always bring many notes, forms and information from the schools and classroom teachers. Our goal is to gradually move all of these forms online, which will save time and paper
We appreciate our parents who recognize the importance of reading and completing the important documents in a timely manner. These items not only ensure the safety of our children but also keep parents informed about policies and procedures.
Last week I visited every one of our schools and saw:
• Preschoolers in the Early Childhood Academy learning the procedures of their classrooms and meeting new friends.
• Children preparing for recess as teachers explained and reviewed playground safety.
• Patient food service staff members as students moved through the lunch line.
• Sixth-graders being assisted by their teacher on how to work the combination lock on their locker.
• Identification being shown by visitors to enter our schools, all of which have secured entries. The security of our students and staff is our top priority.
It is an honor to serve as your superintendent. We value and appreciate the community support that you provide. Your children are under good care in Perry Township Schools.