The blast of trumpets and thunder of percussion will permeate throughout the park when the Pops Series at the MacAllister Center for the Performing Arts, 2450 Shelby St., opens at 7 p.m. June 12 with the Philharmonic Orchestra of Indianapolis.
The program will continue at 7 p.m. every Thursday through Aug. 21:
• June 19, Athenaeum Pops Orchestra.
• June 26, Indianapolis Municipal Band.
• July 3, Greater Greenwood Community Band, 8 p.m.
• July 10, Indianapolis Brass Choir.
• July 17, New Horizons Band of Indianapolis.
• July 24, Jazz Renegades Dance Band.
• July 31, Pride of Indy concert and jazz bands.
• Aug. 7, Indianapolis Symphonic Band.
• Aug. 14, Swing Shift Indy.
• Aug. 21, Barton Rogers Big Band.
Patrons can grab a seat in the amphitheater or bring a blanket or lounge chairs and enjoy a picnic on the lawn. Either way, they’ll find themselves humming along to familiar melodies throughout the concerts.
The Music in the Garden series kicks off at 7 p.m. June 5 with the Indianapolis Jazz Orchestra performing. The two-part program will conclude Sept. 13 with Free But Not Cheap playing at noon and 9:30 p.m.
The Movies on the Lawn program will be held behind the Arts Center, with a start time of around dusk on the last Saturday of each month through August. This year’s films are “Back to the Future” (May 31), “Young Frankenstein” (June 28), “The NeverEnding Story” (July 27) and “Labyrinth” (Aug. 30).
Shakespeare in the Park returns to the amphitheater with “Camelot” at 8 p.m. Aug. 29, 30, Sept. 5, 6, 12 and 13.